Louisa County Seal, click for homepage Louisa County Seal, click for homepage
Contact    Sitemap    Search    


Commonwealth's Attorney
Frequently Asked Questions
Court Overview
Juvenile and Domestic Relations (J & DR) District Court
The Juvenile and Domestic Relations court handles all matters involving juveniles (any person under the age of 18) and matters between a married couple, family members, individuals who have a child in common, or two people living together. The Juvenile and Domestic Relations court is housed at the Cunningham Courts Building, 314 W. Main Street.

General District Court
The General District Court handles all criminal misdemeanor cases, most traffic violations and preliminary hearings for criminal felony cases. The General District Court is housed at the Cunningham Courts Building, 314 W. Main Street.
Click here to check the status of your case

Circuit Court
The Circuit Court handles all felony charges and misdemeanor appeals from General District Court. Circuit Court cases are heard at Main Courthouse, 100 W. Main Street.

Overview of court process
For a comprehensive overview of the criminal justice system in Virginia we recommend the Courts in Brief website published by the Virginia Supreme Court.

Basic Legal
What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?
A misdemeanor is a crime punishable by a maximum sentence of 12 months in jail, a fine of not more than $2,500, or both. A felony is a more serious crime that carries a potential prison sentence in a state penitentiary as well as long-term restrictions on your rights. Misdemeanor cases are heard by a judge, whereas a felony trial can be held before either a judge or a jury.

How do I find out which court and what time a trial will be heard?
Case information is available from the Virginia Court Case Information websites. More Information for General District Court and Circuit Court. On the Case information website, find the Louisa County court the case will be heard in (Criminal, Circuit or Juvenile and Domestic Relations) in the pull down menu. After typing in the defendant's name, a list of cases will appear. Click on the case number in the left hand column to find out more details about each case. The form should have the time and date of the next hearing, as well as the courtroom number.

How can I contact the prosecutor assigned to my case?
Please call our office at (540) 967-2205 and tell the receptionist the name of the defendant. If you are a defendant the prosecutor will not be able to speak to you. Instead, please have your lawyer contact the prosecutor.
Contact the County       Sitemap       Search our Site
Website assistance, please contact the Webmaster.
All rights reserved, 2005-2015.
Our Privacy Statement