How to query an infobase (a three step method):
- Specify your query in the text box provided and press Enter or click the Send Query button. The web server will return the number of hits for each occurrence of your query string and place that number in the the left margin of the Table of Contents next to the Expand "+" buttons.
- Expand the branches of the Contents frame until you are ready to proceed directly to the title of your choice in the Document Frame by clicking on the text of the title.
- In the Document area you may proceed from one hit to the next by using the Next Hit ">>" button in the lower left area of the Tool frame, or you may return to the Table of Contents to make another selection. If the highlighted hits do not appear at the top of the document page try scrolling or using the browser's 'find' option to locate the hit.
Operator or Scope Examples:
- To find a specific phrase, use quotes. For example, "city clerk's duties"
- To find words with a similar form, use the asterisk. For example, admin* will find administration, administrator, etc. Please note that searching for a word without the asterisk will not find compound words that contain the word. For example: Searching for pawn will not find pawnshop.
- You may use simple boolean logic. For example:
mayor and council
mayor not council
mayor or council
And: one two one & two one and two
Or: me | you me or you
Not: ^him not him her^him
Exclusive Or (XOR): apples~oranges apples xor oranges
Phrase: "to be or not" "fourscore and seven"
Single Character Wildcard: wom?n g??b?r
Multiple Character Wildcard: work* h*t*
Ordered Proximity: "united states of america"/10
Unordered Proximity: "uncle sams army"@7
Stem (Word Form): run% great%
Thesaurus (Synonym): flying$ alteration$
In Fields: [field weapon: knife gun (club|bat)]